Visual Media A.A.S. (VSM)
This is an overview of the program. The course sequencing is meant to serve as a guideline for your semester planning. Please note that the scheduling of courses, program sequencing and curriculum are subject to change
This program is designed for students planning to enter the following industries upon graduation with an associate’s degree: including, but not limited to, digital content production, visual journalism, and commercial photography. Program coursework explores career opportunities in these visual communications and digital content production industries through practical experience in state-of-the-art professional facilities and the teaching of fundamental concepts and theories behind the practice. Industry positions include, but are not limited to, commercial photography and video production, visual journalist, digital content coordinator and social media content management. Students utilize industry-standard software, hardware and production techniques as they build professional-quality portfolios of their work and engage in projects with their community.
Upon successful completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
• demonstrate effective oral, written and visual communication skills.
• apply the principles of digital content production in industry-recognized platforms such as print, TV, web and mobile.
• apply principles of composition to produce professionalquality photographs.
• select and operate photographic and video equipment and technologies appropriate to the task.
• select and operate/employ industry-standard hardware and software to produce content appropriate to the task.
• evaluate and select media artifacts to create a professional portfolio of digital content using industrystandard principlesl practice and equipment.
This degree is designed for students who want to enter visual media-related industries and seek employment upon graduation. Students considering or seeking to transfer to a four-year institution should enroll in either of the following: Communication A.A. or TV/Film A.A.