FAQs About Financial Aid and Resources

  • How many credits must I be taking to be eligible for financial aid?

    The majority of financial aid programs require that students attend at least half-time (enrolled for 6-11 credits per semester.) Some funding requires full-time attendance (12 credits or more.) Some limited federal funding is available to students who are enrolled less than half time (less than 6 credits) and are also eligible for a Pell grant.  Students enrolled less than half time (less than 6 credits) during any semester will not be eligible for a student loan.   

  • Am I eligible for financial aid?
    The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will determine what aid you may be eligible to receive. Financial aid is available to citizens or eligible non-citizens who are matriculated students and are considered to be degree seeking. Students must be able to prove that they have completed high school or passed the G.E.D. exam to be considered.  If in doubt, it is best to apply and find out what you may be eligible to receive.
  • How do I file?
    A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be completed and submitted to the federal government as soon after January 1 as possible. You must file the FAFSA via the internet by going to www.fafsa.ed.gov. The application will determine your eligibility for federal and state aid. The application does take four to six weeks to process so complete the application as soon as possible. Remember to list Lehigh Carbon Community College on your FAFSA so that your information is sent to our financial aid office. The School code for LCCC is 00681000.
  • What does "satisfactory academic progress" mean?
    "Satisfactory academic progress" refers to a requirement by federal regulation which states that a student must be making progress toward completion of their degree requirements. This progress is measured both in terms of the cumulative grade point average (GPA) and the number of credits completed toward the degree during each period of attendance at the college. Progress requirements are applied to all students who are presently receiving financial aid, regardless of whether they have received aid in prior semesters.

    In general, the GPA may not drop below a 2.00 and aid cannot be extended once the student's attendance exceeds the equivalent of six full-time semesters for a two-year associate's degree. Academic progress is greatly impacted by a student's failure to complete a course or by his/her withdrawal from the course. Specific policy requirements are listed on this website and in the college catalog in the Financial Aid section under Academic Progress Policy and are available at the Financial Aid Office.
  • What financial aid is available?
    • Pell Grant - Federal grant awarded on the basis of need; does not need to be repaid.
    • Pennsylvania State Grant - grant awarded to Pennsylvania residents on the basis of need and the cost of the institution the student is attending.  Does not need to be repaid.
    • Miscellaneous Grant - Funds received from an outside source. These grants will be applied to the students account as dictated by the awarding organization.
    • FSEOG - Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant - A federal grant awarded to Pell recipients as funding is available; does not need to be repaid. 
    • Direct Loan Program - Federally funded loans that enable a student to borrow money at a low interest rate to cover educational expenses.
    • Direct Plus Loans - Federal loan that enables a parent to borrow money toward the cost of a child's education.
    • Work Study - Allows students to work on campus and collect payment for the hours they have worked. Wages are paid directly to the student.
  • What is the deadline for filing?
    • January 1 - for the upcoming academic year (fall and spring)
    • December 1 - for the spring (January) semester only
    • March 1 - for the summer session
  • What will financial aid cover?
    Financial aid is offered to cover the costs of tuition, fees, books, and other expenses related to education, such as transportation. Students who have financial aid applied to their invoice in excess of the costs for their tuition and fees may be offered a book voucher to be used in the college bookstore at the beginning of each semester. Any excess funds remaining on the student's account after the completion of the drop period will be refunded to the student for that term.