Student Eligibility for Accommodation Services
How is a student eligible for accommodation services?
Lehigh Carbon Community College’s Disability Support Services (DSS) provides access and academic accommodations for qualified students. A qualified student is one who meets the requisite academic standards for admission or participation in college programs/activities. An accommodation is an alternate way of displaying, conveying, or communicating knowledge or mastery of an objective in a course and cannot lower the standards of a course or program. In order to be eligible for accommodations, the following will take place:
- The student will schedule an intake interview to disclose a disability with the Disability Support Services Office by calling 610-799-1156.
- The student will present appropriate documentation indicating the nature, extent, and functional limitations of the disability (see appropriate documentation link).
- Disability Support Services will review the documentation to determine if the impairment is substantially limiting and will determine if the student is eligible for accommodations.
- If accommodations are deemed appropriate, Disability Support Services and the student will sign an “accommodation memo.”
- The student will present the accommodation memo to faculty who will assist DSS and the student in implementing the accommodations.
- Students, faculty, and DSS will maintain an interactive, working relationship to appropriately accommodate students with documented disabilities.