Fire, Building Evacuation, and Campus Lockdown Procedures
If you discover a fire, do the following:
- Pull fire alarm.
- Notify Campus Security of location. (At the sites you will need to notify the receptionist.)
- Evacuate building to a place at least 300 yards from the building.
Whenever the fire alarm sounds (loud ringing bell and lights flashing on hallway ceilings), evacuate the building as soon as possible. Do not use elevators during evacuation. If you are on break, do not attempt to return to the classroom or office for your belongings. After leaving the building, proceed to a safe area approximately 300 yards away from the building. Do not block roadways or fire hydrants. Emergency exit routes are posted in all classrooms, labs and office suites.
Campus Lockdown Procedures
The yellow lockdown pull stations are located at various locations throughout the buildings at all campuses. The lockdown alert is to be utilized for potentially life threatening situations (such as an active shooter) on campus other than fires and/or explosive devices. In the event of an emergency the lockdown alert pull station works in the same manner as the traditional fire alarm pull stations.
When the lockdown alert is activated the following will occur:
- An alarm signal (audible and visual) will begin along with a broadcast message that will be heard both in and outside of the buildings instructing you that there is a “Lockdown alert. Remain in your area. Await further instructions.”
- Immediately upon the emergency alert activation the alarm company will notify the appropriate police agency first and then notify LCCC security. Security will respond to the problem to attempt to contain the situation until outside law enforcement resources arrive on scene. Further instructions will be broadcast as the scene is secured.
What YOU should do in the event of a lockdown alert:
- If you are in a classroom or office area, immediately lock the entry door and turn off the lights. Keep students inside, away from windows and take cover if possible.
- If the threat is in your immediate area DO NOT lock the aggressor in your area with you.
- If you are out in a common area seek the nearest secure shelter (i.e. a nearby classroom, office, bathroom, etc.)
- If you are in or near the parking lot seek shelter in your vehicle and lock the doors. DO NOT leave the campus. Await contact by police personnel.
- Remain in your secured area until further instructions are provided. This may take some time and will require patience.
- IMPORTANT: If you are locked down in your office or a classroom or other area it is important that you remain locked down as police pass through the area to investigate and secure the threat. It is also important that you indicate (if possible) to the police non-verbally that your area is secure and the offender is not in that area. This will be accomplished by giving the police a “thumbs up” as they approach your door. If the threat is in your area do not respond to the police. This will signal that there is a potential threat in your area and they will enter the room. If there is no threat in your area the police will move to the next area. REMAIN IN LOCKDOWN!
- Once the threat has been contained a police officer accompanied by a school representative will move from area to area to release people from the lockdown. Wait for the official release. This will take some time. Please remain in your area as it will be imperative to provide medical assistance if necessary and the police and/or security may need additional information from you regarding the incident.
Should you have any questions please watch the video above, or contact Public Safety.