Paraprofessional/Special Education A.A.S. (PAR)
This is an overview of the program. The course sequencing is meant to serve as a guideline for your semester planning. Please note that the scheduling of courses, program sequencing and curriculum are subject to change.
To prepare graduates as paraprofessionals or teacher assistants with the skills and knowledge required to effectively educate and serve individuals with diverse learning abilities. Graduates may work in public or private schools in general education or in classroom settings with students with exceptionalities.
Upon successful completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- identify patterns of human development and learning across the life span and understand that each child’s learning and development are unique based on knowledge of family, culture, and biological influences, and special education law.
- develop collaborative relationships with colleagues to support and advocate for children’s learning.
- modify and adapt teaching strategies for individual students.
Special Admission Program Requirements
• High school diploma or GED and successful completion of appropriate high school or post-secondary courses. Submission of official transcripts of all previous education.
• Acceptable scores on LCCC skills assessment.
• To participate in the required observation/fieldwork experiences, the student is responsible for collecting and submitting the following clearances: PA Child Abuse History Clearance, PA State Police Criminal Record Check, FBI clearance—fingerprinting. A “record” status or failure to meet state standards will prevent the student from completion of required fieldwork experiences.
• Special program costs include clearances, books, supplies and transportation to Teacher Education agencies.
Teacher Education Advisement guidelines for students seeking a teaching career and/or program of study for transfer into a four-year college program. Students can select and tailor their program based on career goals.
Students intending to transfer need to choose courses based on the college transfer agreement.