Medical Billing Specialist Certificate (MBSC)
This is an overview of the program. The course sequencing is meant to serve as a guideline for your semester planning. Please note that the scheduling of courses, program sequencing and curriculum are subject to change.
This career program is designed to provide students with the medical coding and accounting/basic business
skills for entry-level positions in the medical business community. Typical jobs for which graduates are expected to be qualified include medical biller, medical records clerk, insurance coder, and medical office assistant in non-hospital settings. Credits may be applied toward the A.A.S. degree in Accounting, Health Information Technology, and/or Medical Assisting.
Upon successful completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- demonstrate entry-level administrative technology skills, including office computer operations and insurance billing/collection procedures.
- demonstrate entry-level bookkeeping/accounting skills.
- demonstrate a knowledge of the various conventions used in the ICD-10-CM and CPT code books.
- explain the purpose of classification systems and code accurately using the ICD-10-CM or CPT coding systems.
- utilize the medical record to code.
- Gainful Employment Disclosure Information