Exercise Science A.S. (EXSS)
This is an overview of the program. The course sequencing is meant to serve as a guideline for your semester planning. Please note that the scheduling of courses, program sequencing and curriculum are subject to change.
This program prepares students to transfer to a baccalaureate degree program in Exercise Science, Adult Health, Exercise Physiology, Kinesiology, and similar curricula in Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance.
Graduates of such baccalaureate programs find employment in health, wellness, health management, health center and fitness center program management, corporate health and wellness programs, health and physical education teaching, exercise physiology teaching and research, medical exercise rehabilitation programs,adult fitness programs and related fields. The curriculum includes general education requirements, a basic science and math foundation and a broad base in discipline-related courses such as exercise physiology, nutrition, kinesiology and exercise measurement and prescription. In addition, the program will prepare the students to sit for nationally accredited exams in the field of exercise science such as the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)and the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA).
Upon successful completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- take advanced academic work at a four-year institution in one of the exercise science professions.
- sit for nationally accredited exams in the field of exercise science (ACSM, NSCA, etc.).
- conduct complete fitness assessments and prescribe exercise programs to the public.
- recognize how the body works and how it is affected by environmental factors
- recognize liability issues facing the student as they go to work in this “hands-on” profession