Academic FAQs

  • When do classes begin and end?
    You can find the start and end dates, holidays and finals schedule by checking the Academic Calendar.  
  • How does my student know what books to purchase for their classes?
    Through their myLCCC account, students can see the required books from their "Printable Class Schedule." They can also look up the books on the bookstore website if they have the course number and section number.
  • What is academic advising?
    Academic advising is a process by which an advisor meets with the student to discuss the student’s short- and long-term educational and career goals. The advisor will assist in determining the sequencing of required courses in the student’s major and help select the appropriate courses for each semester. Advisors provide encouragement and refer students to support services within the college, if needed. When your student is not sure where to go with a question or problem, their advisor can help.
  • What are my student's responsibilities in the academic advising process?
    One of the most important responsibilities is keeping scheduled appointments. If your student is not able to keep an appointment, they should contact the advisor as soon as possible. Your student should be prepared with any relevant information (unofficial transcript, etc.) to ensure the appointment will be productive, as well as any questions that will help them make informed decisions. Students should aim to meet with an advisor once per semester. If the student plans to transfer to a four-year institution, they are highly encouraged to meet with an academic advisor early and continue to do so throughout their time at LCCC.
  • My student doesn't have a major. Is that OK?
    Many students are unsure of a major or career pathway when they start college. Your student's advisor can help them explore their strengths and their options at LCCC. Encourage your student to complete the FOCUS II assessment to help them start thinking about this important decision, and to schedule an appointment with their advisor at the beginning of the semester.
  • My student plans to transfer. Where can we find more information?
    You can find transfer information, including course equivalencies and articulation agreements, as well as transfer planning tips and visit information, on the Transfer Services web page. If your student plans to transfer to a state school, you can find program-to-program transfer information and additional course equivalency information on the PA Trac website.
  • What is the syllabus? Why is it important?
    The syllabus is the agreement between the professor and the class about what material will be learned, classroom policies and procedures, and the grading system.  Each professor develops their own way of teaching the class in line with the course objectives.  Students must pay close attention to the syllabus because it will differ in each class and it will explain how students earn their grades in the class.
  • What is the homework like? What about tests and make-up work?
    Homework in college is very different than homework in high school. Students must complete a good deal of work at home to be successful in a class. Students are expected to do 2-3 hours of work outside of class for each hour spent in class. Being a full-time student is the same as a full-time job. Make-up work in college is not usually allowed.
  • How does my student withdraw from a class? Is that a good thing or bad thing to do?
    Every semester, there is a deadline to withdraw from a class without academic penalty. If a student withdraws, they will generally lose their time spent and their tuition dollars. This is generally not a good thing to do, but sometimes it is the best decision. Your student should always talk to the professor or their advisor before dropping a class.  Sometimes, there are also financial aid implications to be considered before withdrawing from a class. If a student fails to withdraw by the deadline, the student’s grade will reflect what the student has earned in the class.
  • Can I contact my student's professor?
    By federal law and college policy, professors cannot share information about a student's progress or situation in the class. So, no, it will not be helpful for you to contact professors. That does not mean you cannot help your student. See the next FAQ for options. Remember, this is a great opportunity for your student to be independent and learn to advocate for themselves! Encourage them to do so. 
  • What resources are available if my student is struggling with a class?
    Students who are struggling in a course are strongly encouraged to speak to their instructors about the options available for getting help with their coursework. They can also take advantage of academic tutoring, both on campus and online. Educational Support Services offers help with writing, math, science and other coursework. Online tutoring is available for many classes 24/7. Learning specialists are also available to assist with study skills, note-taking, and testing strategies. If your child has a physical, learning or psychological disability or received academic accommodations in high school, then we encourage them to visit our Disability Support Services Office. The specialist will review supporting documentation of a disability and work with the student to determine the most appropriate accommodations.