ASPIRA First Year College Experience
As a Hispanic Serving Institution who has more than 25% Latina/o/x students, LCCC is committed to creating communities of mutual support and empowerment among Latina/o/x students. To reach this goal, we have created a unique seminar of a 1-credit ASPIRA First-Year Experience seminar. This seminar will discuss how to navigate college, succeed in academics, and identify personal and career goals. In addition, topics of interest to Lationa/o/x students will be addressed such as Latina/o/x identity, acculturation, community, and leadership. Being part of this community will help you find a sense of belonging and achieve your personal and career goals and ultimately help make LCCC a better place.
How do I participate in the ASPIRA First Year College Experience?
First-year Latino/a/x students at the college can enroll in a 1-credit ASPIRA FREE First-Year Experience (FYE) seminar. Complete the interest form below or speak with your Academic Advisor directly.
What is the cost?
There is NO cost for this seminar. Tuition and fees for the Aspira Seminar will be either covered by a grant or covered by financial aid.
What will the ASPIRA FYE seminar cover?
The ASPIRA seminar will discuss college success topics, such as:
- Accessing the resources you need to be a successful college student
- Time management
- Taking useful notes
- Studying for essay and multiple-choice tests
The course will also address specific topics of interest to Latino/a/x students, such as:
- Being a Latino/a/x college student
- Being a Latino/a/x in the United States
- Overcoming obstacles while completing your education
- Getting support from family, friends, and your community
Who do I talk to about the program?
- Your Academic advisor
- If you have any questions regarding the course content or programming please contact Leslie Cogorno, Aspira Coordinator, via email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You may also contact Dr. Hazel Carrera, Academic Advisor at email@example.com.
- If you are an ESL 251 students contact Kenza Glass, Director of ESL at firstname.lastname@example.org will be able to help you and share information about Aspira.