Practical Nursing Certificate (NURC)
*This is an overview of the program. The course sequencing is meant to serve as a guideline for your semester planning. Please note that the scheduling of courses, program sequencing and curriculum are subject to change.*
Please Note: This program is Selective. Any student interested in becoming a candidate for this program must complete the requirements found in the following documents. You will need Adobe Reader to view and print the PDF document.
|National Council Licensing Exam 2012-2013
||Pass Rate Average||Pass Rate Average||Pass Rate Average|
|LPN / NUR program:||LCCC: 90.91%||PA: 88.17%||U.S.: 84.68%|
PLEASE NOTE THAT AS OF 2011, TEAS V IS REQUIRED. NO EARLIER VERSION OF THE TEAS TEST WILL BE ACCEPTED.
Prospective students register through www.atitesting.com for ONE of the following test sessions. Dates for TEAS Testing for Fall 2014 will be posted by August 1.
The program is fully approved by the State Board of Nursing and accredited by:Accreditation Commission For Education In Nursing Inc. (ACEN) 3343 Peachtree Road Northeast Atlanta, GA 30326 (404) 975-5000
Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing website
The Practical Nursing graduate is prepared to assist in caring for medical and surgical patients, convalescents, and the disabled.
Rewarding work experiences are available in hospitals, extended care facilities, private homes, public health agencies, offices, and clinics. The graduate’s performance of select nursing acts is under the direction of a licensed physician, licensed dentist, or professional nurse. Advanced standing is available for those students who fulfill the necessary requirements. This advanced standing is awarded for NUR 106 only.
This is an integrated college program spanning three semesters. Upon completion of the approved curriculum, the graduate receives a certificate as a practical nurse and is eligible to sit for the National Council Licensing Examination-Practical Nursing (NCLEX-PN).
Success in the examination qualifies graduates to function as licensed practical nurses (LPNs).
Upon successful completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- integrate the concepts of person, environment, health, nursing, and basic needs to assist with the assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of individuals, families, and groups across the life span.
- understand the cultural/spiritual needs of a diverse population within a dynamic healthcare system.
- utilize critical thinking to implement the nursing process as a framework for the delivery of cost-effective, outcome-based nursing care to individuals, families, or groups.
- develop the ability to use therapeutic communication and technology to promote, restore, or maintain the health of individuals, families, or groups.
- recognize the need for lifelong learning and the active participation in continued professional development.
- demonstrate the core competencies of a graduate of practical nursing as set forth by the NLNAC.
- practice within the ethical/legal standards of nursing care developed by the National Federation of Licensed Practical Nurses Inc. and according to the state wherein employed.
- assume the roles of caregiver, interdisciplinary team member, manager, and community partner, as well as the responsibilities inherent in the scope of practical nursing as defined by the state wherein employed.
- employ the teaching-learning process to promote the optimum health of individuals, families, or groups within a framework of prevention and wellness care.
|Practical Nursing Certificate (NURC)|
|NUR 106||Nursing I||11|
|BIO 163||Anatomy and Physiology I||4|
|PSY 140||Introduction to Psychology||3|
|NUR 116||Nursing II||11|
|BIO 164||Anatomy and Physiology II||4|
|PSY 145||Human Growth and Development – The Life Span|
|or ECE 120||Children's Growth and Development||3|
|NUR 126||Nursing III||12|
|SOC 150||Introduction to Sociology|
|or SOC 151||Modern Social Problems||3|
Practical Nursing (Certificate)
Approximate Cost of Program
|Books: 1,600||Fees: 765||Tuition: 4,500|
|Books: 1,600||Fees: 1,170||Tuition: 9,000|
|Out of State|
|Books: 1,600||Fees: 1,575||Tuition: 13,500|
|Books: 1,600||Fees: 1,170||Tuition: 6,750|
- On-Campus Room & Board: Not Offered
- More cost information can be found here: Tuition & Fees
- More useful information can be found here: Student Consumer Information
Length of Program
Intended time to complete: 12 months