Health Information Technology A.A.S. (HIT)
*This is an overview of the program. The course sequencing is meant to serve as a guideline for your semester planning. Please note that the scheduling of courses, program sequencing and curriculum are subject to change.*
Please Note: Any student interested in becoming a candidate for this program must complete the requirements found in the following document:
This program focuses on automated health information processing, reporting, and retrieval. Upon completion of the program, the student will be able to read and objectively analyze medical records and other related health data, supervise functional areas of the medical record department, and act effectively and efficiently in any institution that handles health care data.
The HIT program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management Education (CAHIIM).
Upon successful completion of this program, graduates:
- will be able to demonstrate ability to meet AHIMA entry-level competencies.
- who successfully complete the HIT program may apply to the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) for eligibility to take the national accreditation exam to earn RHIT credentials.
- will be able to take an active role in local, state, and national health information management associations.
- will be able to practice competently as health information technicians in professional entry-level employment in various types of healthcare settings.
|Registered Health Information Technician Exam 2013||Pass Rate Average|
|Health Information Technology||100%|
|Health Information Technology A.A.S. (HIT)|
|HIT 110||Introduction to Health Information Science||3|
|HIT 120||Medical Terminology||3|
|BIO 163||Anatomy and Physiology I||4|
|ENG 105||College English I||3|
|CIS 105||Introduction to Computers and Applications||3|
|HIT 130||Health Information in Alternate Settings||4|
|HIT 140||Health Law||3|
|BIO 164||Anatomy and Physiology II||4|
|HIT 210||Health Information Reporting||3|
|HIT 255||CPT and Other Classification Systems||3|
|ENG 106||College English II|
|or ENG 107||Technical Writing||3|
|HIT 200||Health Information Processing||3|
|HIT 220||Health Information Management Practicum||3|
|HIT 230||Professional Practice Experience||4|
|HIT 250||ICD-10-CM/PCS Coding and Classification System||3|
HEALTH INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY PROGRAM
This program is an open enrollment program that requires no special application process.
To enter the HIT program you should:
• Apply online for admission to the college
• Declare you major as Health Information Technology
• Enroll in the HIT 110 Intro course or any other HIT course
To contact the Program Coordinator, please email firstname.lastname@example.org