Medical Billing Specialist Specialized Diploma (MBSD)
*This is an overview of the program. The course sequencing is meant to serve as a guideline for your semester planning. Please note that the scheduling of courses, program sequencing and curriculum are subject to change.*
This career program is designed to provide students with the medical coding, and accounting/basic business skills for entry-level positions in the medical business community. Typical jobs for which graduates are expected to be qualified include medical biller, medical records clerk, insurance coder, medical office assistant in non-hospital settings. Credits may be applied towards the A.A.S. degree in Accounting, Health Information Technology, and/or Medical Assisting.
Upon successful completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- demonstrate entry-level administrative technology skills, including office computer operations, and insurance billing/collection procedures.
- demonstrate entry-level bookkeeping/accounting skills.
- demonstrate a knowledge of the various conventions used in the ICD-9-CM and CPT code books, such as stored procedures, triangles, required fifth digit, etc. and apply them in actual case problems and exercises.
- explain the purpose of classification systems and code accurately using the ICD-9-CM or CPT coding systems.
- utilize the medical record to code.
- practice within the ethical-legal framework established by state statutes and organizations such as the American Association of Medical Assistants (AAMA), American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA), American Institute of Certified Public Accountants(AICPA), American Medical Billing Association (AMBA), American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC).
|Medical Billing Specialist Specialized Diploma (MBSD)|
or ACC 160
Principles of Accounting I
|HIT 255||CPT and Other Classification Systems||3|
or AOT 115
|1 - 3|
|Semester Credits||7 -9|
|MED 102||Medical Assisting I||4|
|HIT 250||ICD-9 CM Coding and Classification System||3|
|AOT 215||Medical Office Procedures||3|
|Credit Total||17 - 19|